The products you buy in stores can be returned if you’re not satisfied with them, but you can’t return the kids once you have them. From the moment you get pregnant until your child comes of age (What am I talking about? Even longer than that!), everything in your life changes. You’ll have to forget about many of your habits and give up many small or big pleasures.
My life is now filled with joy and I wouldn’t change it or go back in time even if I could. However, for all of you who wish to become parents and have no idea what it’s actually like (I had no idea either), I’d like to point to some real life situations, just in case…
- Your child wakes you up in the middle of the night or very early in the morning and tries to tell you something important although you’re asleep or pretending to be asleep.
- Your child screams to the top of his/her voice at 6 a.m. (he/she wants to wear summer clothes even though it’s winter, insists on watching a cartoon, doesn’t want to go to the kindergarten), and when you try to explain calmly that this is not an option and that screaming won’t help, the screaming only gets louder.
- Watching movies in the evening is like watching TV series: you can keep your eyes open for about 45 minutes tops before you’re knocked out.
- Do you have any idea how much putting your child through school will cost you??
- You listen to your friends who don’t have children blissfully planning their trips to interesting places you can only dream about.
- Your friends tell you about what happened at a party where they stayed until dawn…
- Your kid has added new decorations to your favourite dress with a felt tip pen.
… let your imagination run wild; the list of challenges that await you is practically endless.
But: when my daughter runs towards me and wraps her arms around my knees, nothing else matters. When she grins with her face stiffened and says: this is my happy face, all is forgiven and forgotten.